Friday 15 June 2012

Cycling to the reclining Buddha

Today I cycled 60 odd kilometers around the local countryside and visited some Buddhist temples near to the border with Thailand. At the end I was knackered. I took a couple of wrong turnings, hence 60km, but I suppose that was to be expected! 

Cycling around and stopping at small shops was good, an easy way to talk to local people. I saw a lot of singing birds, every year they have a big singing bird competition in Malayisa. 

For some reason in and around Kota Bharu there were many many flags on display, I didn't find out why. My first thought was that there must have been some kind of election but I think it was related to something else. 

The highlight apart from the scenery of the rolling rice fields was a Thai temple with a giant reclining Buddha. A reclining Buddha always faces east and symbolizes the death of Buddha (the sun sets in the east see). A lot temples I visited here had a Thai style of decoration, distinctly different from the Chinese ones. 

After getting back to Kota Bharu, via a giant TESCO, I had dinner at a Chinese pub/restaurant that sold beer and watched a spot of football on the TV. At around 10pm I took a night bus to Ipoh. 


Not very bike friendly



Singing Birds

Singing Birds

Flags everywhere
One Malaysia...a symbol seen everywhere to promote harmony among the
countries different racial groups




Needs touching up

















Enjoying an ABC blog

Not online blog but drink blog